ARLIS/NA-Mountain West Chapter Meeting
April 30, 2007, 10:17am
1. Reports (in print)
- Secretary/Treasurer – Jennifer Parker
As of April 2007, the ARLIS/NA-Mountain West chapter account balance was $1,300.47. We only have 24 paid members or renewals for 2007. A reminder was sent to the list on 4/19/07. This year’s expenses have included $700.00 for the Winberta Yao Travel Award, $250.00 for the Atlanta party, and $50.00 for ad placed in the Atlanta conference program.
- Winberta Yao Travel Award – Allison Colborne
Meredith Friedman was selected as the recipient of the 2007 Winberta Yao Travel Award in support of her travel and attendance at the ARLIS/NA annual conference in April 2007.
Meredith is a graduate student in the School of Information Resources and Library Science (SIRLS) program at the University of Arizona and will graduate in August 2007. Since enrolling in SIRLS, Meredith has attended the Summer Institute in Florence, Italy through the Pratt Institute and has been awarded the Ansel Adams Intern at the Center for Creative Photography of the University of Arizona.
Paula Wolfe, Fine Art and Architecture Librarian at the University of Arizona has been a mentor to Meredith while she has been at the University of Arizona.
The Winberta Yao Award is providing Meredith her first opportunity to attend an ARLIS/NA national conference. She is looking forward to taking advantage of the mentor program at the ARLIS/NA conference as well as numerous workshops, sessions and tours.
- Allison Colborne
Ellie Vaughter, the Mountain Ledger editor, reports that as always, she welcomes suggestions from members about ways to improve the newsletter. She would like input about a reasonable deadline for conference reports for the next issue, and would also like to know what she should publish regarding the 2008 Denver conference.
Atlanta conference sessions for which reports will be written include:
Session VI: Architecture of the Old South – Nancy Pistorius
Session IX: Ten Years After – Lisa Blankenship
Session X: Power to the People – Lisa Blankenship
Meredith Friedman will also contribute a conference report as the travel award recipient. Ellie would like a few more session or tour reports, if possible.
If there are new members, please let Ellie know so that she can include brief biographies in an upcoming issue.
2. Winberta Yao Travel Award Application
Meredith Friedman was present at the conference and at the meeting. Discussion will be held via email regarding the issue of whether or not the applicant must have a MLS or be enrolled in a MLS program.
3. Vacant Committee Positions – Membership, Travel Award, State Coordinators
The majority of this discussion will be done over email due to the abbreviated meeting. Issues discussed are summarized:
- Allison Colborne will be taking a sabbatical and will no longer be available to participate on the Travel Award Committee – volunteers will be solicited by email
- Membership chair and state coordinators will be left vacant until after the 2008 annual conference in Denver
4. Chapter Member Survey
Will now be archived.
5. Western Regional Representative Report (Susan Koskinen)
- This is a year of transition for ARLIS/NA
- The assessment report is currently being reviewed by the board, there are no instant decisions, the members will vote on any permanent changes
- The handbook will probably be moved to the ‘Members Only’ section and be available through Member Clicks
- Email Susan if you have any questions
6. Denver 2008 Conference Website (Chris Ramsey)
Chris will add volunteer opportunities for members and link to the conference site.
7. Affiliation Issues
- Our chapter doesn't need to worry about liability insurance for our next event since it will be the Denver 2008 ARLIS/NA conference rather than a chapter conference, and the ARLIS/NA insurance will be sufficient. We will need to consider the issue of liability insurance at a later time, however.
- Issues regarding membership categories will be discussed by email at a later date.
Meeting adjourned at 10:25 AM